Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Ali Shares Her Story With You


Hello my lovely students!

I’m writing in regards to this weeks lecture. I have a story I want to share with you but I didn’t know where to begin so decided to BLOG about it. I started realizing senior year of high school that anxiety was becoming a problem in my life. And anxiety is a good thing! It’s what motivates us to do our homework! But mine was so excessive that it interrupted my daily functioning and my personality even. My anxiety reached its peak last year at the beginning of school. I was so worried because I didn’t know what my future looked like. My major was Bio with intentions of being a Pharmacist. So I decided to dedicate my time—and I mean all of it—to chemistry and biology. Chemistry was kicking my ass. But what was even worse? I was kicking my own ass. I became sleep deprived, irritable, and unfocused. I struggled to pay attention because I was worrying about paying attention, and whether or not I was learning. If I convinced myself I wasn’t learning, then I made sure to re-read everything—which only made my problems worse.

Am I making sense? It’s really hard to describe the state I was in.

I wouldn’t leave my study area, I wouldn’t take a moment to rest my brain, to eat, to workout, to talk to my friends, to kiss my boyfriend, to hang out on the weekends, or to laugh. I became so irritable and withdrawn from my friends and family and I became truly, truly unhappy. I was depressed. I felt like I was in overdrive—yet I wasn’t going anywhere. And I told myself—maybe I should take a break? I should eat something…I should work out… I should hang out with my boyfriend…but that would take time away from school and chemistry, and chemistry was EVERTHING. So from week to week, I stopped talking, stopped laughing, became completely unorganized, crabby, and unhappy with life. I couldn’t even stand to look at my room mates sit together and laugh at the television. Who had TIME FOR THAT?!

Although there was a part of me that knew I was doing more harm than good, I couldn’t bring myself to admit it, and I couldn’t bring myself to do the things I knew I had to do—and the most important thing was to ask for help. I thought… I could help myself if I wanted to, that I was strong enough and smart enough to help myself--To make myself better.

But I wouldn’t, and I couldn’t and I didn’t. Not for a while, that is…

One day I was in the library with my boyfriend trying to study. I was huffing and puffing because I kept cycling through the same paragraph and was getting frustrated that I couldn’t understand what I was reading. I went on and on and became more frustrated and felt myself falling into a deeper hole of frustration. Josh said, give yourself a break. I refused. When we were walking back from the library that night, we stopped at our mailboxes; I had to see what I got on my chem test. I opened it, hopeful to receive the A I wanted; I only got a low B. I was pissed. And upset. And josh said, you know, lots of people, including myself, would be happy to get a B, Ali, that’s good! But not me; I told him I had different standards and mine were high. I needed to get good grades in chemistry because I was going to be a Pharmacist.

So I got “the talk”. The dreadful talk every unhappy person wishes would come, but when it does, doesn’t want to hear it. He told me I needed to relax, to enjoy my college years, and not worry so much about a silly test. He told me I was unhappy.

And I was. I should have noticed before. I mean, how couldn’t I? And if everyone could notice—WHICH they did—why hadn’t they said anything to me? Though his words hit me with force, I could feel my stubbornness holding them back. I was strong enough to help myself, I didn’t need some professional to tell me to work out, and eat a breakfast and take time to myself. I didn’t need to hear that because I KNEW THAT. I just needed to be smarter. I just needed to focus better. I needed more time. I needed to be better. I needed to be great. I needed to be happy. I needed my friends. I need a break. I needed sleep. I needed a change. I needed that talk.

I needed help.

Not until later that night did I break down and tell him he was right. I needed a change—whatever it was—I needed it.

I decided since the majority of my worries rested in chemistry, that I would see a counselor about Test Anxiety and I would see a tutor. So I did. And I got better. The counselor asked me questions about my lifestyle and told me to take care of myself, and some tips for test taking to reduce my anxiety.

And I got better. I started to get more organized, took time to talk to my room mates, make dinner for myself, and take breaks while studying!

And then Josh dumped me. We were together almost a year and he wanted to be single. So things went back to the way they were—except I got ten times as worse as I was. I was heartbroken and dealing with excessive stress. But I tried so hard to keep my spirits high and I did a good job at it. I had to self-talk myself into feeling better (which works, by the way, I advise it) and into realizing LOTS of things like A. I would heal. B. I would heal stronger C. I would meet someone else, eventually D. I wasn’t irrational or abusive or boring, just unhappy. And I don’t blame him for wanting a happy girlfriend…

So I healed eventually by way of self talk and getting support from my friends and family. And I realize that the words “friends and family” are said everyday in tons on context, but I can’t stress enough how much my friends and family helped me through it all. And better yet, my relationships with them grew ten folds. Though I had my ups and downs, I was for the most part coping. But I didn’t sleep. I didn’t want to be alone—ever—because then, I’d have to think about “things”.

Then one saturday night, I ended up getting sick (as in puking). I thought it was because I was drinking. But I never get DRUNK, and especially not this night in particular, so why was I getting sick?? I figured it was my other medication. And then it happened again, the next weekend—and then the following weekend—and then it started happening during the weekdays. 2am. 4am 5am. My roommate and I figured I had a stomach ulcer from the stress I was dealing with. But I had no other symptoms. And it wasn’t that I was puking up my food—I was dry heaving. I would wake up and have to run to the bathroom because my stomach was spasming and making me feel sick to my stomach. My stomach had crazy butterflies and my heart felt like it was coming out of my chest.

I could handle my anxiety when I was awake—but I couldn’t handle my anxiety in my sleep. What was I suppose to do???

My mom and I had been talking about going on prescription medication for my anxiety but it wasn’t until these episodes that we decided to see the doctor. And we did. And I got medication. About a week or two after I started my medication I woke up feeling different (cliché, but true). I realized how light my chest felt (and this isn’t suppose to be a sick joke, either!) I realized THEN that for my whole life I had been living with this disorder and I didn’t know it. I realized THEN that I didn’t HAVE to feel like that anymore, I didn’t have to feel that tightness in my chest or the butterflies in my stomach at every second of the day.

I’ve been on my medication for a year now and I’m part of a mental health group on campus called Active Minds that tries to reach out to people like me. By being in Active Minds, my personal goal is to reach out to people like me, and tell them that I have an Anxiety Disorder and yes, I am normal and that YES! You can get help, and you will be happier. So many college students think it’s just typical or inevitable to be a stress case through the college years. And though it may be inevitable, that doesn’t mean it needs to be unbearable. When I told my class last year my story, I had two students go see a counselor for their personal issues with mental illness and I’m still on a mission to get as many people as I can to get help for themselves. It makes the world of a difference and I’m so thankful for the one who broke me from my stubborn trance and helped me realize who I DIDN’T want to be anymore. So I encourage you to be your own advocate or help someone who you think may be struggling with mental illness.

Thanks for reading! I’ll see you all next week.

Take Care,

Your Favorite Peer Mentor …Ever

20 comments:

  1. That was deep Ali!

    Everyone is stressed. I know I am quite stressed right now with the transition into college and some of my classes. I find myself doing the same thing Ali said she was doing while sitting in class, not being able to pay attention and wondering if I'm actually learning anything. Some of my friends notice that I'm stressed but I guess I just kind of ignore the fact that I am.

    Anyways, thanks for sharing that Ali! It made me think about some things.

    -Travis K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali
    I have talked to you about being stressed before. Hearing your whole story is really great. I can see myself ending up in the same situation that you were in if I don’t change. In fact in my freshman and sophomore years of high school I was in a situation similar to yours, just not to that extent. Your story is a nice reminder to me to figure out what is truly important and stick to it; I can’t let my school work be my only concern. Thanks for all the insight and sharing. It makes a big difference to know that there are others struggling with the same problem.

    Elise K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ali. I know of a few friends who have talked about these same kind of things when it comes to school. For most of them it started in high school too, and this freshman year has been wearing on them pretty bad. But, kind of like you, I think most of them have decided to be a part of programs and organizations like Active Minds. It's really interesting to hear this story, and I'm sure it'll prove quite useful to remember this account. It's really cool that you blogged about this. I usually don't get too stressed about school, I just try to do the best I can and the rest is out of my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ali for sharing your story. It is pretty stressful changing from high school to college and I know i get stressed and I have to step away, but this story will help realize when too much it too much. That there is time for a life and not just school. I know some friends who also this will help. Thank so much.
    Sammi K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Ali for sharing. I actually have been very stressed lately and didn't really think of it as stress. I just think of it as college. But I guess college isn't supposed to be stressful so that really makes me think about things in a different way. I can use all the stuff you told us and help friends that have been coming to me with stress problems. Thanks again! that was a very touching story!!

    Sara M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ali-
    Thanks for sharing! It's crazy how much I could relate as I read your story. Things do get really stressful at times, and with school and soccer, I find myself really stressed and not having time to enjoy with friends. After reading this, I realize that even though studying is important, I need to take breaks just to relax sometimes! Thank you :)
    -Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ali,

    I am very touched that you are reaching out to others by sharing your story. It takes great strengh and courage to do this. I am very grateful to have you as the peer mentor for ths course. You give so much to the course and we are all lucky to have you. Keep up the excellent work!

    With much respect and admiration,
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  8. Students,

    Thank you for reading and participating in this discussion. What you put into these discussions will be what you get out of them. I am delighted to see insightful and thoughtful discussions. Keep it up!
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your story Ali!
    transferring from high school to college is a HUGE CHANGE!!! For me, i thought it was an easy transission becuase i went to Adventure Duluth trip and met a whole bunch of amazing friends :) having good friends really help you thoughtout the college transission.
    All of us deal with some level of stress. For me, i have been a little stressed about everything. My parents just got divorced this summer, so ive been dealing with that. And just little things keep on adding up to make me a litttle more stressed. But my friends, boyfriend, famly, and God have helped me through it. :)
    Connie A :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ali
    That story was deep. It pobably relates to a lot of students on campus and in college. I know that the college life has been very stressful on me so far. The transition from high school to college is very different and hard. Increased school work, harder tests, way more studying, it all takes a toll on you. So far my parents and girlfriend have been a big stress relief on me. They get me through the tough stuff, and makes ife easier. I need to just slow down and not worry so much somethimes.
    Thankyou again for sharing your story Ali. I appreciate it.

    Joe V

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you shared your story with everyone. I think that by people reading it will help them, for me it makes me realize how much i should try to relax more. College is such a huge change and so much more work to do. I feel i never have time to do anything fun. I'm always so worried about homework and studying or having to go to soccer. Sometimes i just need a break. Thank you for sharing.

    -Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ali,
    Thank you so much for sharing this story. In especially this past week or so I can feel myself slipping into a state like yours, which is not uncommon for me. I go through phases like that. I am a perfectionist so when you talked about having higher-than-normal standards for yourself I can completely relate. Those standards can completely consume you and it is not fun, but it is also incredibly hard to get over them. I'm having the hardest time becoming ok with getting grades any lower than an A. I'm so glad you shared your story, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one.
    ~Katie

    ReplyDelete
  13. oops i somehow posted my response to this one on the other blog but it is there. sorry!
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am having the same thing this week Katie!!! I was so stressed this week! But everything is getting better :)
    COnnie A :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ali,
    Thank you very much for sharing your story! As i was reading through I realized that I do most of those things. I stay up late and study because I feel like what I know is not enough. And I will fail the test. I have no time to watch TV, to time to hang out with friends, even to meet more people. There is only enought time to study and go to class. For some reason I thought that is the way it suppose to be if I am a college student. But as I read your story I realize how wrong I am. You help me to see life differently and I thank you for it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Ali, Thanks for sharing...I can relate to your story too and all the stress within this last month of college. Going from high school to college is such a big difference and way stressful then i imagined. The first month was just overwhelming for me with baseball and school work plus work on top, it was so much and I had no time for anything. I felt like I was barely getting by. Reading your story connected alot with me as well as this last week and being sick with so much work that I missed was extra stress. I thank you for sharing your story with me and my classmates, see you on Tuesday :)
    -Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ali thank you very much for having the courage to share your story with us. i know that probably wasnt the easiest thing to admit and share with people. i am glad that you decided to listen to hippie finally:)haha reading this will help me take a step back and breathe when im having a hard time. thank you...but the favorite mentor ever thing might be pushin it a little ;)
    Jake

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing your story with all of us Ali =) Im glad you are doing a lot better now and are happy again! =) I will definitely keep your story in mind when i feel stressed and beaten up from school work. Thanks for sharing your story again Ali. I feel like your someone i can talk to if i ever need help or someone to communicate my problems too, so thanks again =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing your story with us Ali! It's great to know that there is someone who has gone through an experience like that incase it got to the point for one of us that got super stressed out, cause we would have someone to talk to. And we would know they actually understand and not just nod their head and say they're sorry. Thanks again for everything!
    Sarah A

    ReplyDelete
  20. At first I thought it was going to be a lame story(no joke). But after a paragraph it really spoke to me. Thank you for sharing your story with everybody Ali. I have where I get really nervous about a test that might be two weeks from know and sometimes I don't even really listen to the instructor because I am so nervous about this upcoming test. I don't go into everything like you but now after reading your story I realize some similarities.

    ReplyDelete