Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Community Day: Become an Advocate!







I hope all of you were able to participate in Community Day this week. I am very honored to work at a campus that excuses class for an entire day so that the entire campus can give back to their community. Now that the day is done, and you have completed what you set out to do, the journey has just begun. Acknowledge the problem and become part of the solution. I have provided some information below to help you get started.

I have adopted two children from impoverished countries. This was not the solution to the problems that these countries are facing. By adopting my children, I have seen and learned that there is so much that I must do. Going to the root of the problem and talking to people about what I have experienced and what has happened in my children's lives helps build community. Building communities brings people together to work to solve the problem. Working together we can get donations to provide these countries with medicine, food, clean water, health care, education and the necessities that they need so that parents do not die, parents are able to provide for their children, and so women do not feel that their pregnancies have to be terminated because they cannot provide for their children. I hold my children close and try to imagine how their mothers felt to give up their children to give them the life they wanted them to have. I cannot imagine their heartache and their sorrow. These women have given me the greatest gift and I owe it to them and all the other mothers and fathers placed in these situations to build a community to address this problem. My youngest daughter's parents did not have to die from aids. We can change this. I will be an advocate and I will do all I can to end poverty.

So what can we do and why should we do it? Why would I want to advocate for others?
When you advocate for others, you represent the needs and hopes of people to develop and make change in your community. This doesn’t just help the people in need, it improves your entire community.


How do I advocate for low-income people?
People often want to help others, but don’t know where to begin. Here is a list of some things to think about if you are considering becoming an advocate. One great way to get started is to contact your local Community Action Agency. They can work with you to examine community needs and ways you can help.

Define your issues
What problem(s) do you see in your community?
Is there a lack of living wage jobs? Are employers offered incentives to move into the community?
Is there adequate safe, affordable housing for low income workers?
Is there local childcare available to allow people to work?
Is there affordable medical care in the community?
Are local services like Police and Ambulance services available to protect and serve low income people?
Is affordable public transportation available to help low income people get to work, school, and medical care?
Is there access to banks so people can build assets like checking and savings accounts, and get fair home loans?

Create solutions. It is important that once you know your issues you should be able to offer solutions that address the needs of the community.
A change in local policy to encourage more employers to pay a "living wage".
A plan to develop safe and affordable housing for low income people.
Improving public transportation.
Creating better childcare facilities.
Starting a community health clinic.

Discuss the issues and gather support from civic groups, churches, schools, local government and charitable organizations.
Discuss the issue with friends and people you know.
Attend town hall meetings.
Get involved with city council.
Write your representative.
A letter to the editor of your newspaper.

Implement your plan and see your entire community benefit.

Weekly Minutes will be posted soon

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to be honest, I really don't know much at all about these issues. Though that may be a bad quality, I have been lucky enough to be raised in a Middle Class family that does not have to worry about expenses very often. With that said, I now have an opportunity to learn about the current economical and financial issues in our community and nation as a whole. That video really opened my eyes to how difficult it can be to work your way up in our current system. Some of these people work multiple jobs, giving everything that they have only to fall short.
    I am not from Duluth so it becomes especially hard to answer these questions pertaining to the community. However, in Mendota Heights or the St. Paul suberbs, it seems that many of these options are available but they are all expensive or at least not cheap. Sure, they can provide some assistance, but, realistically, the people who need these services cannot afford the prices at which they are offered. It is a great misfortune and needs a solution. I can help out by making others aware and getting the word out about the current issues. When enough people believe in the problem they can work their way towards a solution.

    Michelle Fischer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,

    I enjoyed reading your comments. It was so honest and I appreciate your willingness to recognize this is a problem and that you did not know much about it until now. That is the first step towards change. Building a community and becoming involved does make a difference. You are so right. I too have so much to learn and continue to work to educate myself and try to do all I can to make a difference. Informing people about this problem really does plant a seed towards action. Best!

    Monica

    ReplyDelete